Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fourth Link Year Recap 10/23-10/25


Guys, I think I have finally figured out a way to intro into these recaps. It's really smooth and transitional. I feel like it's as smooth as-


This week was a little different because we didn't have any guest speakers. I know that's crazy but it's true. Instead we had Adam Donyes talk on Tuesday, Adam Martin talk on Wednesday, and finally Adam Donyes again on Thursday. Personally I was looking forward to this week because I've heard Donyes speak and I've always enjoyed it, also I had never heard Martin speak so I was ready to see what his presentations would be like.

On Tuesday Donyes talked about Time Management and how everything we do in life has eternal significance. This was a really good day because he had us outline what a week looks like for us and I realized how much free time I actually have. It's a whole lot more than I thought so that was really good for me to see. Also he pointed out how the Bible considers those who poorly manage their time to be fools. I don't wanna be a fool so it was good to have Donyes talk about this.

Wednesday was a pretty good day in my opinion. Martin talked about Managing Money and had a lot of insight because in college his degree had to do with finance management. Growing up I'd been taught the basics of money handling and common sense helped a lot. Basically in my mind if you don't have the money, don't spend it. I know this sounds really simple but it seems some people just can't grasp that concept. Sad how many people spend money they don't have. But besides that Martin's talk was educational on all things money. Stuff like checking accounts, savings accounts, loans, and investments. Also how to budget. He even showed us a really great site he has been using for 7 years called "Mint.com" which seems incredibly helpful with budgeting and money management so I'll be sure to take advantage of this!

Finally Donyes spoke again Thursday about Managing Self. This was a great day to learn about self-control, heart change, and other things. Discipline is the main ingredient to managing self. This is something Donyes told us and it rings true. He talked about 3 main disciplines. There are Inward, Outward, and Corporate Disciplines. These all were greatly expanded on by Donyes and it was really good.

Now I have come to the part where I tell you good folks 5 things I learned. Here they are.
1) Actually looking at a physical sheet of paper with my schedule on it really helps me find my free areas. It was really amazing to see how much time I was wasting, yes wasting, every day. I can fill it up with a lot more productive things. This is something I shall keep with me.
2) High interest rates on loans is a bad thing. But low interest rates on loans are great! Whoop, good stuff.
3) Mint.com is a really really useful looking website. I look forward to using it. Basically just go look up the website if you are wondering what it does. It may not sound secure, but it definitely is, been running for awhile with no reported thefts. Good stuff right there.
4) "I think the reason we sometimes have the false sense that God is so far away is because that is where we have put him. We have kept him at a distance, and then when we are in need and call on him in prayer, we wonder where he is. He is exactly where we left him." - Ravi Zacharias.
I don't think more needs to be said about this. The quote speaks for itself. Really good point made by the Ravi.
5) This is not something I really learned, but something that was a highlight of my week. Donyes showed a video from Matt Chandler, the pastor of The Village Church in Texas, talking about a rose...sorta. You'd have to see the video for it to really sink in, but trust me, it's incredible. Gives me chills every time I hear it. I was really glad Donyes showed it cause I saw it a few months ago, but had forgotten about it. Here is the link to the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuGYh6QDNYY. Seriously, if there is one thing you get out of this blog post, watch this video. Really great.

Well peeps, that's it for today. Hope you enjoyed the ride and that you'll join me next time. Peace out dudes and dudets, it's been a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment