Thursday, October 4, 2012

Second Link Year Recap 10/1-10/4

Here we are once again, time to write up another recap of this week. Let us dive right in. This week was different from last week because last week we had three speakers for the three days (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) but this week we got the privilege of having Mike Aleckson for all three of the days. Well...we shall now jump into this head first. Here we go.

Tuesday Mike had a huge whiteboard and wrote the whole outline of the bible on it. Yes you heard correctly, the whole bible. Crazy I know, but he did a pretty good job at it. Here is a picture of it for your viewing pleasure.


The picture quality may not be the best. Also I know that there are glares on the whiteboard, but it's okay. Trust me. It was a pretty cool whiteboard.

Now we move to Wednesday which is the day where I took the most notes. Having a laptop makes note taking a bit easier, but it was still a lot. Anyway(s) today Mike talked briefly about the outline he made but focused more on works, faith, and grace. He brought up a lot of passages that showed if you have faith and truly believe your works will show this. Also he talked about sanctification (although he didn't use that word) and how each day the Holy Spirit is in us regenrating us and walking with us. Pretty crazy stuff right there.

Finally we arrive at Mike's last day with us. I would say mostly everyone enjoyed Mike and his lessons so we were sad to see it end, but as "they" (who is "they" anyways?) say, all good things must come to an end (sorry for the cliche, I'll try to keep those at a minimum on this blog). Basically this might have been my favorite day this week. He talked a lot about the Messianic expectations that those in the Old Testament looked for and how Jesus fulfilled those expectations, but sometimes in different ways than the Jews were expecting. Also another thing that I thought was really cool was how Mike talked to us about the New Heaven and New Earth. How we don't need to be tree huggers, but we should still take care of the earth because we have been given stewardship over it and even Adam back in Genesis was taking care of the garden. So yeah...that was pretty cool to hear. To wrap up Mike left us with one major point that I really liked. He said, "Make what you work on last. Your vocation should glorify God from the Now to the Not Yet. Can the job you are looking at bring God glory? Can it connect with the kingdom to come?". This was really cool to hear and good for me because it made me look at what I plan on doing with my life and gave me more encouragement to make sure what I work at will glorify God in the present and future.

Here at last I will leave you with five things I learned this week.
1) That assigning shapes to Worldview's makes them easier to remember. I will be applying this when I talk to others about Worldview's.
2) Christ = "christos" "anointed one" with oil. [greek]. I am not sure how to apply this, but it is good to know!
3) The 12 Disciples names will be on the cornerstone of the new kingdom when it comes. That is pretty cool right there.
4) The context of verses is quite important, something I already knew, but was reinforced greatly through this week.
5) I need to make sure what I do with my life brings glory to God not just now, but when His kingdom comes.

Well that is it you guys. Sorry about the limited jokes and entertaining words. I am feeling sick so can't really think straight. Well I will leave you guys with these wise words a friend told me, "Make the little things count. Teach midgets math."



No comments:

Post a Comment