Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tenth Link Year Recap 12/11-12/13

This week we got the great privilege to hear from our very own Brian Wang on Tuesday and Thursday but on Wednesday we got to hear from Julie Coxie. Most of Brian's teaching was over Luke 9:23 which is a great reminder of what we must do if we choose to follow Christ. Julie is Kanakuk's Human Resource person so she taught about what employers look for in employees and how to conduct yourself in future job interviews.

Let's first start off with Brian's talks on Tuesday and Thursday. As I said before he mainly spoke about Luke 9:23 and broke that down really well. He basically broke it down into three different main points. Self denial, complete dedication, and finally, willing obedience. I'll talk more about those later.
On Wednesday Julie brought us all some great information about how to present yourself well to your potential employers during job interviews. This was a really helpful day because it's just simple and practical information that is easy to apply in real life.

Onward to five things that stood out to me or I learned this week.

1) I really like how Brian talked about the boiling point of water. At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils and with boiling water, comes steam. And with steam, you can power a locomotive. One extra degree can make all the difference. It was really cool to see such an analogy. Basically that little bit of extra effort can result in great things. So put forth effort, you never know how close to success you are.

2) To get what you've never had, you must do what you've never done. This is just a really cool quote. I don't know who it's by but Brian brought it up in correlation with the 212 degrees comment. It was a really good reminder about how you can't just get stuck in a rut of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You gotta change things up sometimes.

3) Julie talked about three things she looks at for an ideal employee. They were dependability, consistent performance, and positive behavior. This was really cool to see mapped out by a very good Human Resource worker. I will have to keep striving to become better and better at these three things if I desire to be a worker that exemplifies Christ well.

4) Luke 9:23 says, "And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Something that stuck out to me and that Brian proceeded to point out was how it says, "If anyone would come after me...". I think it's key to look at the fact it's a decision. You can't just accidentally stubble into following Jesus, you have to make a conscious decision.

5) During The Fort Wednesday night Adam Donyes taught over Proverbs 13 and gave a really good example about Righteousness and Wickedness. A brief overview of his story/example. A man was conducting dog fights between his two Huskies and making a lot of money off of them. There was a white dog and a black dog. Every time they fought he would bet on one of those dogs and he was always right. Basically he was rolling in the dough. Finally someone just asked him how he got it right every fight. He said, "It's simple. I know which dog is going to win because I feed only him that day.". So basically which are you feeding? Righteousness or wickedness? Because whichever one you're feeding is the one that's going to win that day. Stay in the Word and continue to look at Christ. It's a good question to ask yourself and I know I'll be asking myself that question a lot more now.

Alright everyone here is where I leave you all awkwardly stranded...

No comments:

Post a Comment