Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ninth Link Year Recap 12/4-12/6

Smooth intro!

Let's see, this week was pretty cool. We got the opportunity to have some pretty wise speakers. Three different speakers for all three of the days, so that was a little different. Tuesday we had Kyle Unruh who is the president of K-Life, Wednesday we had Antione Mack who is the director of Kids Across America 1 in Missouri, and finally on Thursday we sort of had two speakers, first was the mayor of Branson, Raeanne Presley, and second was Adam Donyes. I know that last sentence was long but this one isn't that bad.

Five things I learned or stood out to me this week is what I shall be writing about now.

1) I thought it was interesting how Kyle Unruh pointed out that the first sign of authority you have as a parent over your kid is naming them. I'd never really thought about it that way but it truly is the first act of authority over them. The doctor doesn't hand the baby to the nurse and ask her what its (Yes I said "its") name is, he hands the baby to the parents and asks what its name is going to be. Important decision.

2) Antoine Mack was really cool. He talked about psychology and as some know that is an area I am really interested in and may look into during college. His main point was how our time perspective affects our thoughts and actions. An example he gave from a really good looking book, "The Time Paradox" was this: The time perspective is different the closer you get to the equator in terms of things are a lot more relaxed and not much is rushed. But the farther away you get from the equator the more things become punctual and "on time". Take the Caribbean for example, time over there is much more laid back. One reason is because they don't need to rush and get work done because the weather is basically the same throughout the year. No need to hurry up and get things ready for the cold winter when there is no cold winter. But the farther away you go from the equator the more things are on time and punctual. They have to worry about the weather because it does change a lot more than right next to the equator. They need to get all the work done outside before the freezing cold pushes them inside. Interesting thoughts. One of my questions that I never got a chance to ask him was what about once you get to the extreme North or South? If it's always cold in those areas wouldn't the time perspective also be relaxed because they don't have to worry about the weather changing that much? I'm not really sure but it's just a thought. Whew, that was a long one.

3) Antoine also gave us a different perspective of temptation than I'd heard. Temptation is a matter of time. It is the persuasion of now. You want something now instead of later. This generation especially is very "now" oriented. Example would be sex. The temptation for sex is that people want it now, instead of waiting till the proper context of marriage. There is nothing wrong with sex in and of itself, it's a wonderful gift from God for one man and one women in marriage, but if the person is not willing to wait for marriage they succumb to that temptation and want it now. No patience. Another example would be stealing. Maybe you see some nice piece of electronic in the store, so obviously you want it. Are you tempted to steal it? That's because you want it now instead of waiting and earning money to buy it later. That whole concept kind of puts patience in a different perspective than I have thought of it before.

4) Something that was really interesting that goes along with the whole temptation thought process of it being the concept of wanting something now and not later is this; God can't be tempted. If temptation is a matter of time (I want this now) God is outside of time. Another reason is he has everything. We cannot give God something he does not have. So that was a pretty interesting thing because I'd never heard or thought about it that way. I'll be sure to think about it a little more.

5) Today I learned that I am a Golden Retriever.

That's it you guys, thanks for dropping by and reading. Hope you enjoyed it!










Ok just kidding, I'll expand on number five a little more because some may be confused. What I meant by that is after the mayor of Branson spoke Adam gave us all a personality test. It was that kind of test that puts you in the category of animals. Let me tell you the animals first because some of you may be unfamiliar with this kind of test. The first animal is a Lion. This kind of person is more of a leader in terms of the guy on front stage. They take charge and are more bold. Then you have the Otter which is the party animal (Which I find strange, have you ever seen otters partying? Maybe they're just pretty sneaky about it. Sneaky Otters.) These type of people are ones who just want a good time. They usually help others not take themselves so seriously so they are a good fit for Lions. Next you have a Beaver. No sneaky ones here, just analytical type personalities. Details, details, and more details. This is the animal I am farthest from. Bleh, details don't work well with me. Finally you have my group, the Golden Retriever. Adam said these people are the most loyal. Which in turn usually makes them the best spouses because of how loyal they are and the fact they will want to work through things. I can attest to this because I feel like I am pretty dang loyal to those I call my friends. Also apparently we let people walk over us too much because we don't like conflict. Oh well, as long as they are happy (That was a joke by the way). Something kinda funny was Adam kept guessing what everyones personality was and when I asked him to guess mine he said, "Well you are more of a quiet Lion, but very loyal, so I am going to guess Retriever, Lion, Beaver, and then Otter.", he was basically right except Beaver and Otter are switched. But what I really got out of what he said with that was this; I am either a fierce Golden Retriever, or a quiet and tame Lion. What? I've never heard of a quiet Lion or a fierce Golden Retriever, but I guess that's what you get when you mix a regular Lion and Retriever. Anyway it was pretty cool to see everyones personalities and stuff.

Well this is the official sign off. Yup.






No comments:

Post a Comment