Thursday, November 29, 2012

Eighth Link Year Recap 11/27-11/29

Before I start this post I just want to say something. One of my friends back home said that when he reads my blog posts he feels odd. I believe his actual sentence was, "Whenever I read your posts it makes me feel completely awkward." Apparently my writing style does this. Is it reflecting how I usually talk? I'd hope so. Anyway...we will begin.

This week was pretty good. We got the privilege of having Shay Robbins speak wisdom into our lives. Because Shay is the Men's Kamp director at K-2 he had a lot of experience speaking to our age group. This was a great asset for him because I believe everyone really enjoyed what he had to say and understood because he put it so simply but still kept the whole week entertaining. Shay's main theme throughout the whole week was Intimacy with God. He highlighted a few things that I thought were really good so without further adue here are the five things that stood out to me or I learned this week.

1) Something Shay kept coming back to was how back in ancient times (think around Christ's time) there was great intimacy with God. The people who lived then could just go up on their roofs and sleep while looking up at the beautiful night sky with God's handiwork very evident. All those stars and planets millions and bilions of miles away. But now-a-days we are so consumed with just looking at whatever is right in front of our faces. This is usually some sort of screen whether it be a computer, tv, or cell phone. Whatever it is, we have lost sight of God's handiwork and creation.

2) The youth in America lack depth. Why is this? Well if you look at what I just said you'd see that for most of our time we are right in front of a screen. You lose any kind of real relationship depth if all you do is communicate through a screen. Want to say something to someone that you'd never say in person? Just text them. The conversation gets awkward during texting? Just stop replying. Feeling lonely? Just go add a bunch of people on Facebook for a temporary cure. It's this lack of depth that is also really hurting our intimacy with God. I am by no means saying technology is bad, it's something that is neither good or bad. Our jobs as Christians is to redeem it.

3) One thing he said that I thought was really cool was, "The greatest miracle we can ever be a part of is the salvation of someone else". Notice how he did not say we are doing the saving, but we are blessed to witness the Holy Spirit work in this persons life and convict them. God saves them, not us. We are just witnesses of God's great work.

4) He also talked about different ways God talks to us. Mainly and primarily through the scriptures. But He also speaks to us in different ways. Creation (Genesis 1, Rom 1:20, Psalms 19:1), God's people (Proverbs), Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12-14), dreams and visions (1 Corinthians 12-14, Acts 10:9-16, Acts 16:6-10), and finally however he flipping wants to (Balaam's donkey).

5) Fasting is feasting. Something my pastor says whenever he talks about fasting. It's a really good thing to remember and tell others about. Fasting isn't just from food, but it's abstaining from anything and replacing it with a feast of God's Word. Devour His word daily, but when you're fasting it sort of takes a different mindset in the way that you are becoming even more reliant on His sustenance.

Boom you guys. Hope you learned from and enjoyed my blog post this week. Also hope it made you feel awkward. Well maybe not awkward, but just makes you feel as if I was there talking to you face to face. If that is awkward than I embrace that.

No comments:

Post a Comment