Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sixth Link Year Recap 11/5-11/8

This week was quite a bit different from the other weeks. Basically we had no class...so that was cool, but also we had the great opportunity to go up to Kansas City, MO/KS and work in the inner city with little kids. It was pretty amazing but I'll get into more of that later. First I am gonna explain sorta what it looked like.

So if you asked me my thoughts on Urban Entry before I left I would have said that I hoped it was going to be like the Waco, Texas "Poverty Simulation" some of the older kids in the youth group did during June. After having returned I realized they are two different things, but also have many similarities. Firstly I will quickly explain what the Poverty Sim was, very briefly.

Basically Poverty Simulation was a two-three day period where we got the chance to live homeless. Yup, homeless. It was a really eye opening time and definitely one of my top mission type trips I've been on. If you want to know the more detailed parts of this trip than just ask me. But I don't really have the time or need to put it up. Maybe another post.

As I was saying, the Poverty Sim and Urban Entry had some similarities, but a lot of differences. In short the Poverty Sim was much more immersive. We lived like homeless people (even a little better) for those days. Urban Entry we had a house to stay in and such. Although food was scarce. But in UE it was much more focused on serving. We got to clean up an old church (much like the bean cans...) but more of furniture and such. It was definitely really cool to serve in this way. Enough of this though, let me get to five things that impacted me/I learned this week.

1) That Kansas City is one of the most crime ridden cities in the US. I believe #2 if I remember correctly. This was an interesting one for me to learn. It made me a little excited whenever I went outside, because being in danger is exciting. Sorta. That's hard to explain. But it is true for at least my experiences.

2) Something pretty amazing was to see how many abandoned houses there were throughout all these neighborhoods. Probably 1 out of every 5 houses actually were occupied. This was mainly just in the rougher neighborhoods, but still. It was pretty strange to see so many houses abandoned. 

3) Another thing that has to do with the houses. Some of these houses cost around 7,000-15,000 dollars. Ridiculous I know, but that's just how low in demand these houses are. No one wants to live in these neighborhoods. They are completely overlooked.

4) This was a reassured thought but still a good one. Missions are not just overseas but they are also over the street. Just walk across the street and be missional. Live a life like Jesus and be missional with everything you do. You don't need to get on a plane to be a missionary. 

5) Finally something that was really good for me to remember throughout this week. You don't need to feel guilty for what you have. That is not the feeling that these sort of trips are (should) evoke. What it should do is make you aware and give you a bigger heart. Continue you in the sanctification process. Becoming more like Jesus day by day. So what you do with this is not become guilt ridden, but have a heart change and give. Not out of the motivation of guilt, but give out of the motivation that God has blessed you with much so that you may bless others. Do it. Just like Nike. 

A really good quote that I want to end with is this...
"Just remember beautiful pictures come from negatives in a darkroom. So when you see the darkness in your life you know that a beautiful picture is being prepared."
This was on a paper lunch bag. It was written on there by a girl around 18 (can't remember exactly) who had gone through immense physical abuse, cutting herself still, drugs, sexual abuse..etc. She was and still is being wounded. That's why this quote struck me so much. I have no idea if she is following Christ or not. But the fact that she had this quote and is still going through that crap is incredible. So yes, that is how I am going to end this post. Think about it. 

More post to come, hopefully some that aren't just about the Link Year week recaps, but also random subjects. I got a few ideas. Keep up with this blog and you'll probably see them. Adios.






2 comments:

  1. Random subjects eh? I will keep up with this blog. Random subjects can get interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you just wait. I have more thoughts than just what you're thinking about...many ideas floating around up in mah brain.

    ReplyDelete