Thursday, November 15, 2012

Seventh Link Year Recap 11/12-11/15

Here we are again, another week another recap. This was a little more of a normal week, but still, the fact it's the week right before break made it a little strange. Example would be no class Friday and we had the chance to leave Thursday or later. So that was nice. I chose to leave Thursday and get home a soon as I could. But anyway...you don't want to hear more about me. There are other blog post for that.
Alright, here we go.

A quick recap of this week so far. Monday was Mystery Monday and we got to have a lot of fun laser tagging and mini golfing. It was actually pretty great. The laser tag place let us run so that is a huge plus. Also the mini golf was inside with glow in the dark/black light things. Pretty legit. On Tuesday Adam Donyes gave us all a much needed talk on dating and stuff. More to come about that. Wednesday was bible study in the morning, small groups, and finally accountability groups. Good morning and ended with a good night of family dinners and The Fort where Don Ford spoke. Thursday we had Andrew Munneke and he talked about Spiritual Formation in Contemporary Culture. It was pretty good overall. Personally a little hit and miss at times. Some things he said I completely agreed with and some things not so much. But overall still good. Maybe I was just misunderstanding some of his points, very possible.

Well here are a few things that stood out to me this week or I learned.
1) Adam gave a very good morning message on Dating Tuesday. It was pretty great to hear things I've been taught and agree with reaffirmed, but also new things proposed by him. Something I'll definitely remember. He also gave us an article called, "How to Pursue a Godly Spouse" by Mark Driscoll. I am a fan of Driscoll so I was happy to see this. The article had a part where it talked about that our Independence and our Dependence can become idols in our lives.

2) Another important thing that the article talks about is being the right person. So often we can get caught up on looking for the right person and having them fit our own idea of the ideal future spouse. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with having some ideas about how you want your spouse to be, but if that becomes all you focus on then it's not good. Focus on becoming more like Christ first and foremost.

3) Leaving a good impression on the girl you date. This is something Adam stresses a lot and I completely agree with him. It is a very important thing to remember, but let me explain it a little. Usually when he talks about this he is saying it in context of dating the other girls in Link Year. So he basically says this: If you date a girl here at Link Year and treat her badly just think of the damage you will do. Here is a guy who is supposed to be following the Lord and he treats me this way? This will lower the expectations for the girls if supposedly the best guys who are Christians treat them badly then those who aren't Christians won't seem as bad. On the other hand if us guys treat them well and respectfully like we should it will end up much better. The girls will go onto college life and if a guy treats them badly at college they can hold up and realize there are people out there who will treat them better. This applies to just more than Link Year relationships, but any relationships I (I'll make this personal now) have with girls in general. I need to uphold them and respect them. When I date a girl I need to treat her so well and respectful that even if the relationship doesn't work out, she understands what a godly guy looks like and can look for that in other guys.

4) What are my non-negotiable's? This is an important question to ask myself. When I am looking for a potential spouse (basically someone to date because after all the point of dating is to see if the person is someone you could see yourself marrying. But that's sorta a different topic.) I need to have some things that do not change. An example would be they have to be a Christian. No question there. Things like that are what I mean by non-negotiable's.

5) Culture mediates 3 things to people. Meaning, value, and identity. An example would be for meaning, the quarter means 25 cents. The culture gave it that meaning. If I had that quarter 400 years ago it would mean nothing. The culture gave the quarter it's meaning.
In the end if you find your meaning, value, or identity in anything else except Christ, you fail in life.

So that was this week. Really good week to end with before break and I am grateful for it. Before I wrap up I must point out what was one of the top things that happened this week if not my highlight of the week. I got to shake Matt Chandler's hand. Yes...that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment