Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thirtieth Link Year Recap 1/21-1/24

Manhood week has been finished! Basically it was a time where we all got to express our manliness by shooting and breaking stuff, tackling each other, and shooting things out of a large potato launcher. Oh, also we had some really good talks that Adam Martin, Bruce Morgan, and Adam Donyes gave us. Let me break it down a little bit better for you. Keep in mind throughout this whole week the guys and girls were separated and we did different things.

Monday we all went to a shooting range in the Ozark's and shot some skeets. That was a pretty fun morning activity. It was my first time to go shooting for a very long time, at least 9 years. Although I did shoot down about 7 or so, I can't really remember. Lunch was fantastic though, we ate steak. But not just any kind of regular ol steak, it was cooked by each person for themselves. We all gathered around a huge grill and grabbed our own raw steak, then we proceeded to put it on the grill and turn it with our hands. Using utensils was looked down on so most of us just ate the steak with our hands. On Tuesday we all got to go down to the lower fields and stand around a fire (it was freezing outside) while talking about some serious matters. Adam Martin talked about honoring God, respecting others, and respecting ourselves. In between these talks we had some great activities like take a bat and pickaxe to an old dryer. Also shooting multiple things out of a potato launcher and throwing sparkler bombs. That was fun. Explosions are usually pretty great. Wednesday we had Bruce Morgan come in and speak to the us about what a man looks like and then what a godly man looks like. He broke it down really well. Finally on Thursday, Adam Donyes brought the heat the whole time he was talking. He talked about what it looks like to be a boy versus a man. Also cultural lies about manhood. It really was a great week and I'm glad I got to experience and be invested in it. But now onto some things I learned or stood out to me.

1) Skeet shooting is fun. I know this isn't much of a "deep observation". But really, it was fun. I'll have to look into doing it more often with friends as a good hang out time. If I have the money that is, sorta an important part.

2) I can cook a steak! Seriously, this may not sound like a serious thing, but I was greatly impressed with myself. I have never been great with making food. I only recently (within the past two years or so) realized you needed sugar in cookies. Also I have burned Ramen Noodles, so yeah...this was a big accomplishment for me.

3) When Adam Martin was talking about respecting ourselves. It was really good to just sit around the fire and hear this. Looking at how I use my time and talents. Am I respecting myself? Or more importantly am I honoring God through my time management? That seems to be a big theme for me this year, learning how to use my time wisely and maximize my moments.

4) Bruce Morgan gave some practical tips Wednesday on how to put Christ in the driver's seat of our lives. Like the "Huddle" method. Pray (Praise, Repent, Another, Yourself) and fellowship are both really important to keep Christ at the center of it all. Also knowing myself well (strengths and weaknesses). Finally being able to show forgiveness and accept forgiveness.

5) Just seeing Adam Donyes write out the attributes of a boy and a man was really good and convicting. I personally saw many areas where I need to improve, but also on a more encouraging note, areas where I was lacking at the beginning of the year but have seen greatly improved up till now. So that's just a cool little thing called "sanctification". It's awesome, really. Check it out sometime. Finally something that was really good is how so many people think they'll be able to lead later on in life but will just enjoy things as they come now. Take advantage of the moment. The only problem though is this; if you can't lead yourself right now, how do you expect to lead in marriage? Just a really good thing to think on I believe.

So that is it you guys. Really great week of men and stuff, enjoyed it greatly and learned a lot. But remember this important thing you guys...

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day. But set him on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life. Enjoy life. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment